Why Choose Us
Prapanjam is a rural handicrafts venture producing eco-friendly, green products. Prapanjam is entirely
powered by, and hence empowering, rural women. We, at Prapanjam, are a sincere effort to bring to
limelight the many creative and niche craft skillset of these rural women and enable them with
Founded in 2008 by Thiru Kumaran Muthiah, an engineer from the MIT, chennai and an experienced
professional in offshore development, Prapanjam is a vision for creating self sustainable villages.
Prapanjam was initially started with 10 women from T.Kallupatti village near Madurai, TN. Today, women
from nearly 21 adjoining villages are a part of this initiative adding a lot of creative value and quality to
the product line. You can read more about us at http://www.prapanjam.in
* Prapanjam has a dedicated design, R&D studio to add more creative and innovative products. All the teams are leaded by village women not the professionals.
* Prapanjam has a dedicated Quality Control to ensure good quality of the products.
* Prapanjam has a dedicated HR team to ensure high employee morale and their well-being
* Prapanjam has a distributed production line to ensure continuous availability of our products.
* Prapanjam is approved by Factory Act of India and is certified by SSI
* Prapanjam can work with your designers to create custom products and/or branding
* Prapanjam can easily scale for large volume orders. We have had the experience and ability to scale to
Problem Statement we are focusing on:
* Steady increase in number of school drop-outs in rural areas due to parents lacking a sustainable source of income.
* Urban migration on the rise and steady decline in employment opportunities and income in rural India leading to the slow death of villages and strangulation of cities.
* Evident lack of awareness among rural population about various government schemes leading to widespread misappropriation of funds, rampant poverty, corruption and decline in self esteem among rural masses.
* Mahatma Gandhi's vision - "India's soul is in her villages and her up-liftment is possible only through the up-liftment of her rural masses" - This still is a dream.
* World is in urgent need of ideas and products that are eco friendly and ensure the sustainability of mother earth
Our Solution in Mahatma's vision:
* Generate rural employment to ensure zero migration and best use of locally available resources
* Enable rural women to earn a regular income to ensure continuation of child's education
* Produce eco friendly alternates from farm waste and surplus for office and home use and be part of the anti-global warming movement.
* Create awareness among urban masses and companies on the need for rural development .
* Approach corporates and like minded individuals and institutions for support.
* Prapanjam strongly believes - "it is always better to teach fishing than giving the fish".
* 100% Hand Made By Rural Women.
* Supports Anti Global Warming.
* Raw materials are usually the waste or surplus from farming.
* Supports Waste management.
* Wide range of products from Creative Rural Women.
* Highly customizable products based on your requirement.
* Re-investment of more than 90% of the profit to rural development activities.